19 Şubat 2010 Cuma

wish clauses

I WISH

Are you happy about who you are? Are you delighted with the conditions and the status you have, the money you get, your physical appearance, your family, friends? What about your past? When you consider your past life, can you say, “Whatever I’ve done was for a reason, I never say ‘if only!’ ” - or do you have regrets and criticisms about your past ?

I’m one who has many regrets. If I (1) ________ (have) a chance to change my life, I (2) _________ (reorganize) my life. First of all, I’d change my education. Primary school was fine. If only we (3) _________ (be) children again playing, enjoying life without any problems and laughing all the time. Anyway, after primary school I went to a private secondary school, the best in Ankara, until then we had to move to Trabzon. Yes, there was an Anatolian High school there but there were no English teachers. I wish I (4) _________ (learn) English better during those years. If only I (5) _________ (never/ go) to Trabzon! I still have nightmares in which I’m a student in TAL.

My university years was the most enjoyable time of my life, but I was terribly alone. I fell in love many times but I didn’t have the courage to talk about my feelings. I wish I (6) _________ (have) the courage to talk to Kanat or Cem . I spent all those beautiful and energetic years without a boyfriend. If only I (7) _________ (have) a boyfriend with whom I could have enjoyed campus. Also, I stayed in dorm for five years and I shared my room with three witches whom I wanted to kill every single day! I didn’t have enough money to move to a private flat. Actually, if I had had enough money, I wouldn’t have gone to sleep hungry every night. I wish my father (8) _________ (send) me more money for my expenses.

After university, I fell in love with a man who used to live in Istanbul and, without considering all the pros and cons, I moved to Istanbul in a week. Only a month after my move, we split up. I was alone again among fifteen million people. If I (9) _________ (move) , I (10) _______ (be) alone now. I wish I (11) ________ (never/see) him. All my friends are in Ankara and have a good time together. I wish they (12) ________ (be) here, or I (13)________ (be) there with them.

Finally, my marriage. I’m married to a drunk who used to be a gentleman a year ago. I wish he (14)_______ (behave) better and (15)________ (not / drink) at all. God, my life is full of mistakes. I wish I (16)_______ (never /born)!






Key 1 . had 2 . would reorganize 3 . were/could be 4 . had learnt/learned 5 . had never gone 6 . had had
7 . had had 8 . had sent 9 . hadn’t moved 10 . wouldn’t be 11 . had never seen 12 . were 13 . were/was
14 . behaved 15 . didn’t drink 16. had never been born

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder